April 8, 2011

Day One


This marks day one of back seat car living. I, normally, go to sleep when it gets dark, so I was in bed by about 8:30pm last night. I used the grocery store bathroom, made my futon mattress up, and tried not to be too conspicuous while I wiggled into the back seat. I’ll post pictures at some point, but remember that my back seat folds down so I’m sleeping half in the trunk and half in the back of the car. I curled up in my comforter and, despite the bright parking lot lights, fell asleep quickly. I remembered to crack the window there would be no tell tale condensation on the windows.

This is a problem that comes up often: I move a lot in my sleep. There were two reasons why you really can’t do that in a car 
  1. People will see the car rocking and get suspicious 
  2. There just isn’t enough room to roll over without waking yourself up
So I woke up a few times to shift but I’ll get use to that. I was surprisingly warm, though there was frost on the car this morning, and didn’t end up using the three extra blankets I packed. This morning I rolled out of my car feeling fairly refreshed. Still in my jeans from the day before, I headed into the grocery for a cup of coffee and a box of pop tarts, through some clothes in a bag, and headed for the bus stop across the street.

No matter how old you are, you’re always ten years old to your parents. My mother called at 7:30, maybe five minutes after I woke up, to see if I was ok. Let’s just say she isn’t thrilled about my grand plan and would rather I get a job and settle down to something like a life. My father is a bit more supportive, but not much, and I find myself saying “I’m almost 30” to them a lot.

Tomorrow I will be looking into post office boxes and a more permanent (and less illegal) parking space.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love mail so leave a message, ask a question, or give me some advice. You can also email me at Thetuckerbag@gmail.com