May 20, 2011

Storing Jewelry On The Road

My Traveling Jewelry Box

Years ago, my sister and I lived in Oregon for a summer. One day she came home with an amethyst necklace that was on sale for "only $80!" Normally she can live on only the bare essentials but everyone has a weak spot, and hers was jewelry. That night she pulled out what we called her "jewelry bowl", a glass bowl with a tangled web of necklaces and earnings. I have no idea if she ever got the thing untangled but we didn't that summer and I vividly remember the frustration six years later.

When I packed up my stuff this time around my solution to jewelry storage was a tackle box from a fishing store. It's about $4 and the blue tabs can be taken out and repositioned depending on the size of the jewelry. The best part is that, unlike a traditional jewelry box, it can be turned upside down and everything stays secure and relatively knot free.

One thing I should mention here: Rita Rudner once said “I don't want something around my neck that's worth more than my head.” When translated into car-living speak this means don’t keep expensive jewelry in your vehicle. This is not the place for Grandpa’s gold pocket watch or great aunt Mary’s engagement ring so, if you can’t bear to lose it, find a friend or a lock box.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love mail so leave a message, ask a question, or give me some advice. You can also email me at Thetuckerbag@gmail.com