December 29, 2011

Frozen Locks

Someone always has it worse
I fell asleep on a friend's couch last night and woke up at 7am to go to work. To the parking lot I skipped ready for a day of phone answering and book scanning but apparently it was pretty cold last night and the car lock had frozen shut! So there I am in the freezing cold trying the pry the door open without setting off the alarm or snapping the key off in the lock. Finally I called work to say I was going to be late and had to wait for the sun to come out. If I had been in the car I would have been able to start it and thaw the lock from the inside... Yet another reason why it is a good idea to sleep in my car in the winter.

Just as a side note, you may remember that I moved into my car because it really hates the New England winters. Last year it kept refusing to start and I eventually gave up my apartment so that I wouldn't miss work and classes. Looks like that was a good move because this probably would have happened a few times by now.

Only two more days of 2011! The count down is on.

3 comments:

  1. Heyyyyyyyyyyyy ash; I dunno, it gets pretty cold where i live and i can't remember the last time i had that problem. Maybe sometime last century. I think its more of an old car thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I buy de-icer stuff in a spray can at the auto parts store, but it is said that if you spray your lock with WD-40 the night before, it won't freeze. Let me know if that works, you have more ice up there than I have here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WD40 actually works pretty good, as does the lock deicer before a freeze. I always try to spray silicone on the door rubber seals, i had the doors freeze shut on me one night after a freezing rain.

    ReplyDelete

I love mail so leave a message, ask a question, or give me some advice. You can also email me at Thetuckerbag@gmail.com