July 29, 2012

Moving On


“I give you this to take with you: Nothing remains as it was. If you know this, you can begin again, with pure joy in the uprooting.” 
-Judith Minty

As most of you know, I’ve been staying in my friend’s basement this summer while I got a job and settled myself on the seacoast. From the beginning I’d planned to be out of the house by August 1st and as my move date got closer I wondered why I wasn’t getting more panicked about finding new digs. As long as I have a vehicle I never have to worry about a home.

I adore my friends, but it’s certainly time for me to be moving on. My friends want their house back and I want to be able to come and go freely without worrying about waking people up or not having a house key.


So, on Wednesday I’m moving back into the Jetta! I miss it a lot so I’m pretty excited, though I still need to join a gym so I can shower. I’m not going to be able to go all winter like last year, so I found an alternative. I put out an add on Craig’s List for eight people who want to find a super cheap apartment. Housing is expensive on the seacoast, but the bigger the house the cheaper rent gets. Within fifteen hours I had ten people who wanted to get a place by September 1st.  Pretty cool people too; like bartenders, engineers, college grad students, and teachers. This could turn out really good or really bad. Stay tuned!

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations on moving back into the Jetta! Isn't it nice having the security of owning your own home, even it it has four tires?

    I was discussing that topic at McDonalds with the coffee group earlier today. They don't understand that the van is my home. I am proud of it, clean it, fix it up, etc.

    I hope you enjoy the Jetta and the continuing adventures! Keep us posted. :)

    Brad (vantrekker)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speaking just for myself, if given the option to live with 8-10 people or to live in my car...or even a cardboard box, I think that I would go with the later. Maybe even in winter. I'm just not THAT sociable :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you! Honestly it's the whole New England Winter thing that has me looking for temporary sticks. It gets cold and my car got below 6 degrees last year!

      Delete
  3. Ash: When you move in with all those people (good idea by the way) I hope you will read my 2 paragraph summary of my 17 years living communally. It's in the comment section of my latest blog: Manifesto---Randy--the Mobile Kodger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You bet I will! I haven't been able to get online a lot this month but I really need to check in on your mobile community adventure. A caravan seems like a great experience.

      Delete

I love mail so leave a message, ask a question, or give me some advice. You can also email me at Thetuckerbag@gmail.com