September 29, 2012

Where Did September Go?

"Well, in our country," said Alice, still panting a little, "you'd generally get to somewhere else — if you run very fast for a long time, as we've been doing."  
"A slow sort of country!" said the Queen. "Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that!" 
 -Lewis Carrol

September is pretty much over now and, looking back on the past month, I have no idea what I did with it. Since being promoted to Lead Pre-K Teacher I've been running (like the Red Queen) as fast as I can and still always seem to be a step behind. I think this is why the lessons I got as an elementary school student were so dull. Once the teacher had a year of lesson plans done they just kept recycling them, that way they could have a breather once in a while. If teachers are expected to stay current on techniques and information they should have smaller classes and more administrative support, otherwise they have the options of either being stressed and current or relaxed and ineffective. Lucky for me I got my second raise in a month. I asked for $11 (up from $10) when I took over the classroom and yesterday they gave me $12, just because they like me. That makes me feel a little better about spending so much of my weekend planning my school week.

In other news I have contacted the state about my former landlord, who is now completely ignoring my calls and owes me $480. We'll see where that goes, but bureaucracies are not known for their efficiency.

I'm still getting lots of use from my Kindle Fire, watching too many movies. I read The Hunger Games, which was surprisingly good. I normally don't trust the public's taste in books, but there's always an exception. I also read Wool, by Hugh Howey, which was very well done and I'm going to *gasp!* buy the full collection.

So that's life folks. Still searching for a throttle body, still with the folks, still taking the bus to work. I need to get transportation/housing squared away and I can feel winter creeping closer which, eventually, will force my hand.

Calamity Song by The Decemberists on Grooveshark

4 comments:

  1. Sorry, that was me. I requested that the month be sped up so we could reach the end faster, and thus get me out of my apartment.

    Maybe now is a good time to call the police about the drug habits of your former roommates. Turnabout is fair play after all. I'm sure your landlord won't be thrilled to learn that he loses out on a weeks rent from three other tenants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't know what fantasy land Steve lives in but here in the big city the cops only come to your house if you shoot the robber or he shoots you ....... No gunfire = no response !! Welcome to budget cuts 2012

    People in the Gov now only work if they are collecting their paycheck or bitching about how unfair it is their pay and pensions have been cut by .05% and we broke a secrate trust to take of them forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right to an extent that cops in the "big city" take care of the major stuff, like gunfire, and let the semi victimless crimes, like an old guy's drug habit, slide until they're really bored. Lucky for me, however, coastal New Hampshire doesn't have much major crime so drugs still get some attention. More than the attention the apartment will get, I think it will be important when I go to court to point to a police report.

      Delete
  3. This piece of crap of a landlord deserves to go to jail. Contact the police. Tell them everything. As far as I can see this guy might have other "sticks in the fire", so to speak.
    Love the Calamity Song!!

    ReplyDelete

I love mail so leave a message, ask a question, or give me some advice. You can also email me at Thetuckerbag@gmail.com