May 3, 2012

And The Answer Is...

Alice came to a fork in the road. "Which road do I take?" she asked.
"Where do you want to go?" responded the Cheshire Cat.
"I don't know" Alice answered.
"Then," said the Cat, "it doesn't matter."
-Lewis Carol, Alice in Wonderland
 
Two years ago the lack of a college degree was limiting my employment opportunities. I wasn't sure exactly what I wanted to be (I'm still not) but I had a general idea and now, armed with a freshly printed BA, I can do whatever it is I want to do. It's like standing in front of a tray of cookies and, even though you know can come back for seconds, you try to take one of each flavor because you can't decide on just one.

But, for better or for worse, I have managed to decide on just one: New Orleans. While I know that in the long term I would be happier in Maine, New Orleans will give me the short term experience and support I need. I've already invested so much into it that I might as well carry through and then next year I can go north to an island and maybe the year after that... Well, I could go any place. So it's time to get to work. I have a whole class to get done before I head down and money to be saving if I'm going to stay fed through the summer.

This is me trying to be grown up and making a decision based not on what I want right now, but on what will have the greater benefit down the road. New Orleans might be higher stress but it's still a great city. Maybe I'll take up Yoga or something.

5 comments:

  1. Young lady, I surely do like the way you think. At your age I had a faint clue of what I wanted to be when I grew up but I was about where you are now. Well, at 73 I still do not know what I want to be when I grow up but it's been a really good life looking around 'cause I got to be a lot of things.
    Come on down. We are about to have a hot summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At 64 and married 45 years I have always, thanks to an understanding wife, done what I wanted as a "career". I have never been rich, been poor and now am okay. I do not regret for one minute the trip. The people, places and experiences have been great. CARPE DIEM, follow the dream, as long as you have integrity and compassion you will love every day.I really enjoy following you and your life, keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're very inspiring. And brave. Wishing you a great year in NOLA, :) Jill

    ReplyDelete
  4. N.O. is not the safest place. They have one of the highest murder rates in the entire country. The criminal element prey on touristy types. I'm not trying to scare you but if your choice is between Maine and NO... go to Maine and be safe. Mainers are such nice welcoming people. I grew up there... spent 23 years in Gorham.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful opportunity to live in the "unfamiliar". I know NOLA is a major metropolitan area with suburbs and traffic and chain stores and all of that, BUT Cajun communities and the French Quarter are as close to foreign travel as you can get without using your passport. I hope you can be there for Christmas to see the bonfires on the levee - an experience I will never forget! LG

    ReplyDelete

I love mail so leave a message, ask a question, or give me some advice. You can also email me at Thetuckerbag@gmail.com