May 15, 2012

A Cracked Hose

The Jetta is mad and when she gets mad she throws temper-tantrums like a four year old. On the plus side, she rarely busts something that I can't live without. Instead she send me a warning, like this one discovered as a result of the coolant leak.

About 4,000 miles ago the drive belt started squeaking and I knew that it needed to be replaced. Unfortunately I just can't afford to throw $350 bucks into her right now so I have have been actively ignoring the problem. I know, not a very adult way to deal with a car problem because if the drive belt goes (knock on wood) it's going to cost me a heck of a lot more to fix the engine. Truth is that it wouldn't cost me anything to fix the engine because she would be abandoned on the side of the road or (more likely) pushed stealthily into a nearby pond.

It seems that the Jetta has deduced my intentions and has been limping along for much longer than she had any right to. But just because she doesn't want to be junked doesn't mean she can't make her feelings known.

While this is not (technically) and vital hose, I've been told it could cut down my gas millage, not to mention the oil it's spewing all over the Jetta's innards. I'm surprised she isn't smoking like a forest fire yet (still knocking on wood), but I'm more concerned that an already taxed system is being taxed even more.

So, she's sending me a hint but a hint is still less than a winning scratch ticket and I now need to figure out the cost of replacing this new hose problem.

On Friday I have a job interview at a school outside Bangor Maine (Just as a side note I would like to point out that New Orleans schools have had my resume for over a month and I still haven't heard from them). That's a 6 1/2 hour 300 mile drive from Amherst ONE WAY. One of my lovely coworkers suggested that I rent a car to drive up and save the Jetta 600 miles of timing belt usage. Even though I really don't have the cash to rent a car (even the $40 economy sizes Chevy Aveo) it cheaper than a hose or a drive belt and I won't kill my transportation/housing on the side of a Maine highway.

1 comment:

  1. Find a roll of Rescue Tape. Marine stores have it, some Ace Hardware and Home Depots, too. About $10 for a roll. It'll fix ANY kind of hose and permanently, too. I used it on everything when I lived on my little sailboat. It's not really "tape" as in sticky. It's some kind of technomagic that bonds with itself once it's stretched and wrapped; turns into a solid piece you can't unwrap. Boy, it's amazing and MUCH cheaper than buying new hoses. You can make a repair and come back YEARS later and it's still as good as new.

    ReplyDelete

I love mail so leave a message, ask a question, or give me some advice. You can also email me at Thetuckerbag@gmail.com