April 29, 2012

This Too Shall Pass

Remember a few weeks ago (not even) I talked about how we often don't take risks because we think we might fail? I encouraged everyone to take a leap of faith because, in the end, we all land on our feet. Well, I guess that advice wouldn't mean much if I wasn't willing to take that leap myself.

We don't take risks because we think we might fail, but the fact that we take the risk and overcome our fear of failure does not guarantee success. We are not automatically rewarded for our faith, instead we have to be able to accept the consequences when our gamble doesn't quite pay off.

Last Night's Surprisingly Insightful Fortune Cookie
I began college in August in 2010 after a seven year "break". I was twenty-six years old and my choice was nothing if not a gamble. I didn't have any money or a way to support myself, but it was something I was (am) excited to do. I crammed a major and two minors into two years, which included a mandatory two semesters of Spanish. While I squeaked by first semester Spanish I might not have the same luck this time. I'm cum laude in the university (close enough to magna that I could bump off a few theater majors for the title) and suma cum laude in the Sociology Department, but language is something I just can't wrap my head around. Here's the problem: If I don't pass this last test on Monday, I don't graduate this spring. If I don't graduate this spring I can't accept the teaching job in New Orleans. See? A chain reaction. I could finish up Spanish during the summer, but I'd still need a plan B for work.

Remember that saying about getting knocked off the horse and getting back on? I think that might be the trick. Not the failure but how you roll with the failure, how you mold it into something you can use. I don't really believe in fate.I don't think that this is the universe telling me that New Orleans is a bad idea, but I do think that sometimes it's takes an unforeseen boulder to force a river to explore alternative paths.

My test is tomorrow (Monday) morning and I have put in seventeen hours of study time so far this weekend with another ten or so planned for this evening. I figure that at very least I will walk into the test having done everything possible to pass. In the mean time I am trying very hard to breathe evenly. Wish me luck!

10 comments:

  1. Buena suerte con el examen Ashley.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sending all kinds of good vibes and mojo. Not that you'll need them,I KNOW you'll do awesomely well on your own. Bank them for a later date!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck. I predict that you know more than you will need. Dump your doubts they are excess baggage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like what Oldfool said. The husband has something on our fridge I want to share with you.

    If you think you are beaten, you are. If uou think you dare not, you won't. If you lke to win, but you think you can't, it's almost certain you won't.

    I you think you'll lose, you've lost; for out of the world we find, success begins with a fellow's will: There is much in the state of a mind.

    If you think you're outclassed, you are. You've got to think high to rise; you've got to be sure of yourself before you can ever win a prize.

    Life's battles don't always go to the strongest or fastest man; but sooner or later the man who wins, is the man who thinks he can.

    You CAN DO IT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ashley, we are all simply spirit beings and capable of so much more than our limited horizons permit us to see. Relax, study, relax and tune into the knowledge, wisdom and energy that is all around. You know enough to pass this exam. You know you do. It's just one more small dragon to slay on the road you've chosen and where you want to go. There is a world cheering for you. John

    P.S. -- You know more than you think you know :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ashley, no need for a plan B, you got this, relax and do what you do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Something to think about:

    "If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got."

    -Albert Einstein

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know what other advice I can give you other than best of luck and I know good things will happen in your life... Also...

    "Make it so!" -- Jean Luc Piccard, Star Trek TNG

    Brad aka VanTrekker

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ashley,

    No offense intended but you must be very fat or ugly. There is simply no other way someone that one who has your work ethic would be as poor as you are.

    Sorry, but I know I'm right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. umm, that's an interesting theory. I don't really think my weight or my appearance is significant enough to effect my income. I think it has more to do with the fact that the jobs I enjoy doing often don't pay much (ie: teacher, farmer, etc). Combine that with the expenses of a full time college student...

      Delete

I love mail so leave a message, ask a question, or give me some advice. You can also email me at Thetuckerbag@gmail.com