August 31, 2011

Americorp

Last night, as I walked the mile back to my car, I passed dozens of new student arrivals skeptically pulling cork boards and duffel bags out of mom's minivan. Piles of cardboard littered the sidewalks, classmates greeted each other after a summer apart, and parents gave tearful goodbyes to kids that could not possibly be old enough to shave. My auditorium was temporarily occupied, which can only be a sign of things to come, and I remembered all the reasons why I left college eight years ago. According to research less than half of the kids that get dropped off this weekend will actually finish college. Kind of depressing.

On a positive note I used $6,000 in Americorp money to pay off the federal loans from the 2010-2011 school year. If you haven't checked out Americorp it's a great way to earn cash for college or just find a cool job. Stuff like non profits, conservation corps, and whatnot are always looking for people and they normally pay pretty well. If you're a parent or grandparent you can even give the Americorp money to a relative. I've worked with them for about 15 months straight and it's been great.

PS: I've heard that some people are having trouble posting comments. Blogspot is working to fix this but, in the mean time, you can email me at thetuckerbag@gmail.com with any questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love mail so leave a message, ask a question, or give me some advice. You can also email me at Thetuckerbag@gmail.com