July 1, 2011

Sherlock Holmes Review


While I was waiting for my car to be repaired yesterday I had a lot of time to sit and read. I went to the library and curled up in an easy chair, lay in the grass, and even went to lunch with my Kindle and sat in a corner poring over…

By Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

This kindle book is free which, as you know, is hard for me to pass up. I’ve read Holmes before, years ago, and love the old Sherlock Holmes movies (I secretly even like the new one) but I couldn’t put this book down. The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes has four stories:
  • The Adventure of the Speckled Band
    • A woman hires Holmes to investigate the death of her sister
  • The Adventure of the Dancing Men
    • A woman received a mysterious letter with stick figures and Holmes has to reveal her past
  • A Scandal in Bohemia
    • A king hires Holmes to find a picture of the king and his ex-lover before it is sent to his future bride by said ex lover. One of my faves full of disguises and clever plots.
  • The Adventure of the Devil's Foot
    • Holmes and Watson have to solve a mystery while on holiday. This is suppose to be one of the 100 best stories ever written.
All of them are great but one of my favorite Holmes quotes is from A Scandal in Bohemia
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."
So, if you haven't read it, read it. If you have read it, read it again. This is a great book for all seasons.

3 comments:

  1. From reading your profile and past post I am compelled to turn you on to this site. http://freesleeping.blogspot.com/
    He calls it Homeless By Choice. He hasn't posted in some time but his past stuff is worth reading.
    Let me know what you think of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant to add I have a pile of Sherlock Holmes books in my stack of books I hope to read or reread before I die.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always ENJOYED Sherlock Holmes !!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love mail so leave a message, ask a question, or give me some advice. You can also email me at Thetuckerbag@gmail.com