Ok, so when I started car dwelling I didn’t have storage and every evening I would move all my junk from the back of the car (my bed) to the driver’s seat. There were two major problems with this, the first being that I am way too lazy to go through this daily. The second problem is that nothing seems to raise red flags like a vehicle with stuff piled on the front seat. Thus began my quest for the perfect roof storage system.
I don’t have a roof rack or that cool lip on the roof to attach things too, so securing anything was a challenge. My first solution was a metal rack (self assembled), about $45, that had metal clips to shut in the door and hold the thing on. A recap of the problems:
- We’ve already established that I’m lazy, so readjusting clips every time I needed to open any of the doors was a pain.
- It sat on my sun roof: Bad for the roof and my star gazing
- The metal clips, when shut in the door, let water into the car in massive rain storms.
So I brought it back (thank goodness for Wal-Mart’s return policy) and found a better solution. A black, weather proof, soft bag that I can tie to the top of the back doors. Nice things about this bag?
- Its 15 sq ft and isn’t even close to full.
- It stays on my car when drive away but forget to tie it down
- It has Velcro and zippers, so pretty solid
- It looks better than the blue tarp