July 7, 2011

Peapod From Shaws

So here’s the budgeting tip of the week. I’m not sure if this will work for other parts of the country, but it will definitely work for those in the Northeast.

There is some price variation between supermarkets like Hannaford, Stop and Shop, Big Y, Price Chopper, etc, but for the most part everyone charges the same for groceries (not including sales). Stop and Shop has a newish service called Peapod delivery where people can buy their groceries online and then have them delivered to their home. Awesomely lazy, I know. While I have never checked if they can deliver to a parking space (as pizza places can), I have found that the site is great for budgeting. Make out a menu for the week or for a meal and use the site to get an idea of how much you’ll be spending. This is so much easier than walking up and down isles checking prices and brands. I was thinking of making that lemon garlic hummus from the Road Recipes section and now know that the ingredients will cost about $7.47 and Chi Chi tortillas are cheaper than Mission. Hey, I'll take all the help I can get.

Meal
Item
Cost
Breakfast
Canned Peaches
$.89
Lunch
Pasta Side
$1
Dinner
Refried Beans
$1

10 sm Tortillas (sale)
$1.10

Can of Corn (sale)
$.89

Sweet Onion*
$.79

Gateraid
$1
Total

$6.67

*Sweet onion makes the meal!

2 comments:

  1. Ash ... I'm glad you brought this up again. After seeing the hummus recipe I meant to ask you about it. Garbanzos don't exactly mash well w/a fork so how are you dealing with that? Or you aren't and just going for best possible blend of everything together?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve, Yeah, the fork thing doesn't work too well on these little buggers. I have a potato masher that seems to do the trick (a little over the top, buy hey). It takes a while and some elbow grease but it makes a pretty hearty meal and saves for the next day. I have a whole kitchen set up in my duffel on the roof that I can take down when I need to make a meal. It's kind of hilarious to watch:)

    ReplyDelete

I love mail so leave a message, ask a question, or give me some advice. You can also email me at Thetuckerbag@gmail.com