July 9, 2011

Pine Grove Cemetery

 I know it may sound a little strange but I love cemeteries. Not in a creepy black nail polish sort of way, it’s just something about the stone and the quiet that appeals to my solitary side. If you think about it, the people buried there probably picked the area themselves knowing that it would be the last place their body ever went. Maybe family buried them there because it was a place they thought was pretty. Whatever the reason for the space it’s one of the only places in the world dedicated to reuniting us with the earth that we came from. That’s pretty cool.
 
So while I was out in the world today I stopped at one of my favorite cemeteries, in Spencer MA. Pine Grove is not just an ordinary cemetery with the pristine lawns and potted shrubs. This is a very old place and many of the oldest head stones have been reclaimed by the woods around the newer section. It looks like as families left the area there was no one to maintain the sites to they were allowed to be swallowed by the pines.
 
There are some rough paths that lead around the hill and down to a brook. On the sides of the hill, next to trees and buried in the under brush, are dozens of grave stones. It's really beautiful and there never seems to be anyone there so if you're in the area, check it out.

2 comments:

  1. Pine Grove is a beautiful cemetary. Have you been to Spider Gates (aka Friends Cemetary) in Leicester? Also, Sterling has some great, really old cemetaries.

    Cyndi & Stumpy @ RVly Ever After

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cyndi, I've driven past Spider Gates before but have not stopped in. Maybe that will be next!

    ReplyDelete

I love mail so leave a message, ask a question, or give me some advice. You can also email me at Thetuckerbag@gmail.com